Friday, June 17, 2011

Operation Remove Gertie the Goiter...


I met with my ENT (Ear nose throat) doctor back on May 16th to discuss surgery. Here is the plan of action:

Surgery on July 22nd. They will go in and remove Gertie... then they will have a pathologist in the operating room and will examine her to double check and make sure that she is in fact cancerous (to rule out a false positive from the Fine needle biopsy) If for some reason it is not Cancer like they thought they will stop there... only removing one side (right side) of my thyroid sew me up and send me on my way. If it is positive and come out with the same results of cancer like the FNB then they will continue on and also remove the left side of my thyroid. It should be an out patient procedure and I should be able to go home that night.
One month later I will have to take a radioactive iodine treatment (a mild form of chemo) During which I will need to be isolated from everyone for 3-5 days. Sounds like fun?!?! NO! lol!
Anyway... I have found some amazing resources and support groups that have saved my sanity the past month while obsessing over my new diagnosis...

They are as follows:

Patients with thyroid diseases and thyroid cancers write and submit letters to their thyroids beginning with Dear Thyroid, of course, among other literary things..

ThyCa Thyroid Cancer Survivors Association
This site maintains current information about thyroid cancer and support services available to people at any stage of testing, treatment, or lifelong monitoring for thyroid cancer, as well as their caregivers.


The mission of the Light of Life Foundation (a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization) is to improve the quality of life of thyroid cancer patients through continual education of the lay public and the medical community, and by promoting research and development to improve thyroid cancer care.

No comments: